So I purchased a bunch of hardware appliances to resell with Untangle Firewall pre-loaded. I wanted my company logo on these devices at boot.
You run the risk of permanently breaking your computer, probably voiding your warranty, never to have it see the light of day again. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. BIOS mods or upgrades are no joke.
Here is how I did it.
You will need:
- FreeDOS Live CD from here: https://cloud.johndball.com/owncloud/index.php/s/6a8Enuf4wMR4oUQ/download – Password to open is “modding”
- Rufus from here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
- AFUDOS.exe which is here: https://cloud.johndball.com/owncloud/index.php/s/1GIQn3NqESZHrP5/download – Password to open is “modding”
- The readme with options is here: https://cloud.johndball.com/owncloud/index.php/s/fK5znrdMemMvYx4/download
- ChangeLogo version 5 here: https://cloud.johndball.com/owncloud/index.php/s/LkQqxQst1ZSk9qX/download
Password to open is “modding”
- An empty USB drive preferably 8GB or smaller
How to change:
- Download and run RUFUS. In RUFUS, click “Create a bootable disk using:” and select your FreeDos LiveCD download. “Burn” this to your USB effectively turning your USB into a bootable LiveCD.
- Once complete, copy AFUDDOS.exe to the root of your USB drive.
- Plug the USB into your American Megatrends AptioV computer. Boot from USB. Select option “1” which is “Continue to boot FreeDOS from CD-ROM”.
- Select option “5” which is “FreeDOS Live CD only”. If you install to hard disk you WILL erase your operating system on the hard disk (although if you mess up any where else you’ll bork your computer anyway).
- At the command prompt type “C:” and press “enter”.
- Type “dir” and press “enter”. Make sure AFUDOS is listed.
- Type “AFUDOS.exe Old.ROM /O” and press enter. Your current BIOS will be downloaded to your USB drive under the name “Old.ROM”.
- Unplug the USB from your modding PC and plug it into something else (Windows 7 or 8 preferred).
- Run “ChangeLogo_v5.exe”.
- Click “Load Image” button and select your “Old.ROM” image.
- Click “Save Logo” button and save it as “splash.bmp”. Note that the dimensions are 800×600 and it is BMP file extension (not .jpg; not .png; not. .gif. You must use BMP at 800×600). This logo should be the American Megatrends logo.
- Configure your new logo in paint or whatever suits your fancy (I do not know the color depth or max file size, my new logo is 1.48 mb and it works).
- Click “Browse” in the change logo program. Find your new logo. Click on the “Replace Logo” button.
- Click on the “Save Image As” button and name your new BIOS image as “New.ROM” or whatever suits your fancy. ;-)
- With the “New.ROM” BIOS on your bootable USB stick, plug it back into your computer to be modded and reboot your computer. Repeat steps 3 through 6.
- ***STOP FOR A SECOND***. You are about to flash a new BIOS image to your device. Ensure that 1) It is not lightning outside, 2) your brother/sister/mum/dad/daughter/son/dog/cat/noob friend is not anywhere near your power cable, 3) preferably put your computer on a UPS battery backup, 4) DO NOT UNPLUG THE POWER OR REBOOT AT ALL during this next step.
- At the command prompt type “AFUDOS.exe New.ROM” and press “enter”. AFUDOS will begin flashing the new ROM image to your computer.
- After you get a successful flash message or completed message, and ONLY after you get a completed or success message, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and reboot your computer. You should see your new logo.
- Optional: Send me some coffee money via this PayPal donate button:
Enjoy your new BIOS boot logo and don’t forget to change your boot timeout to greater than 1 second so you can enjoy the logo at bootup.